Followers

Friday 19 October 2012

Reflection - What I said........

Back in 2011 I played the UK 40k Open tournament scene, mainly around the North West. The people were nice (if a little clic-quey!) I used pure Deathwing and broke the top 100 uk players as per RankingsHQ, which was my goal. This year (2012!) I have withdrawn from the tourney scene due to personal circumstances (change of job, family commitments etc) but I intend to return to competative gaming soon!

During this phase of my life I wrote an artice for UK rankings on the viability of "Deathwing" under 5th Ed rules. I have added the article below for you to comment on and I will post a response from my viewpont under 6th Ed very soon!

Enjoy!

Well thats a fair question, I love the Gothic background, our fluff is one of Games Workshops oldest creations, and we have a special uniqueness that appeals to me personally, The Deathwing.

Given all the new Codex updates Grey Knights, Blood Angels, Necrons, Etc I wanted to discuss my thoughts on our current standing.

I have competed in 2011 in 4 tournaments, I didnt win any (/shrug) but I won a fair few games and learnt a lot about my army which has been "Pure Deathwing" for all 4. I have been smashed cleanly off the table by certain builds and I have repaid that favor on many an occasion.

Ok so I run maxium Terminator squads with Belial at all points levels. I add a "Godhammer" if the points allow to add some anti tank to the list. This gives me a very low model count, highly elite, slow moving, mid range force. Doesn't sound to great huh? Well we have some advantages! Firstly and most importantly is the psychology.

Most opponents I have encountered have very rarely faced the all Terminator threat and become easily flustered at all that invunerable saving throw sat on the table, in a word some panic! This is where you really get you opportunity to win a game because trust me, you will have to earn some wins! 

Secondly I blanket fit all my squads wih cyclone launchers. This makes me be able to really sit deep in my half and "reach out" and "touch" armour and light infantry. I have 1 exception to this rule. I run 1 mixed squad, I call them the tacticals. They have an assault cannon and are usually the unit that gets removed first, but thats ok if you planned it that way! Remember the enemy have to shoot at something, better it be your choice than thiers!

Deep Strike? Sure why not? Ok it can be risky but it has won me more games than lost me. I lost my "command squad", Belial and a Terminator Librarian all on a mishap at a recent tournament, guess what? 3 remaining Terminators in turn 6 still claimed 2 objectives and I won! They can be very, very resillient if the dice allow! This is a choice you must make at each table you come to. If it is not a tactical advantage to Deep Strike, don't do it! If the table has little scenery to trouble you, sensible placement shoulld practically guarantee they land safely.

I often choose the Librarian over the Interrogator as a second HQ. Mainly due to the fact he has the most powerful "hood" in 40k and its rangeless! I stick him in obscure places just to shut down the pesky meddlings of the warp! He can seriously ruin an Eldar turn with a few good rolls, Chaos too if the "Lash"list is out!

The list could be tuned to run total TH/SS! This list does not collapse easilly but I find it is very sterile and although hard to kill off, it isnt the most fun to play in certain mission types. I opt for a TH/SS unit I call my "Command Squad" this includes the Standard and the Apothecary. who has lightning claws. These again are a great bullet magnet with 3+ inv, feel no pain, usually 5 IC wounds to mitigate over as well!

Let the record show that you will more than likely get mauled against the Chaos "Lash Whip / Obliterator" Combo due to plasma templates on bunched squads, same also for any plasma based marine build! But ya cant win 'em all eh?

So can they still cut it? I have beaten most of the newer codex builds over the last 12 months and when played well, the Deathwing build of the Dark Angels is still tough to beat, but I would say that to get wins prepare to use tactica and hold on! You may only have a handful of Terminators left at the end of a game
but its where they are stood that counts! 

No comments:

Post a Comment